Toto, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore

Hey there, blogosphere!

I am very sorry to say that I’ve been slacking with the updates to due the fact that my dear computer crashed (and crashed hard) about a week ago. Although the timing was extremely unfortunate, I made it through the last week of the REU without my own laptop, and it has been fixed since I got home just this past Friday.

So you guys can have an idea of the work I’ve been doing for the past two months, I am attaching the link to my K-State research web page! Each of us was required to describe our research in website form, so this is a pretty detailed explanation of the nitty-gritty of my research project. It is by no means a super fancy website, but it’s straightforward and it gets the job done (we were all given a template to build off, so most of our sites look pretty similar).

That last week of the REU experience was pretty hectic but also a lot of fun. The squad all worked together to prepare for our final poster presentations; Wednesday afternoon, we all met up in the common area and practiced our mini-speeches for each other, giving pointers and making sure that we could all summarize our ten weeks of research within the allotted time limit (a mere five minutes).


I was SUPER nervous during the presentations Thursday morning but most of the judges who passed by my poster were very friendly and understanding. Overall, it went very well, and I felt proud of my work. Plus, I really enjoyed the feeling of comradery I felt with my peers as we all shared the same nervousness (and then relief when we were finally done!) and chatted about our presentation experiences.


We were rewarded with an absolutely HUGE and delicious lunch at a Mexican restaurant. Later Thursday afternoon, I was able to join my faculty mentor for dinner at Harry’s, which was probably just about the fanciest place I’ve ever been. I had so much food thrust upon me on Thursday that I’m amazed my Friday flights were able to make it off the ground!

Luckily, all of those flights went smoothly, and even though it was a pretty long day (travelling from 5:30 am to 7 pm, from Manhattan through Dallas and Philadelphia and finally home to Syracuse!), I held up pretty well.


I got picked up at the airport by my wonderful boyfriend, and I enjoyed a real home-cooked meal and an evening around the fire—an amazing way to spend the first night back in New York. (Weird moment: Friday night, I had a dream that I was still in Kansas, working on my project, and when I woke up, I thought I was still there for a minute!) It is so good to be home, and to know that I’ll be here to relax and recover for the next month.

Toto, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore.

Lots of love,



About Maggie

UB Student. Liverpudlian. Book reader. Food lover. Christian. Writer. Office supply fanatic. Big sister. Math geek. Coffee addict. Listener.
This entry was posted in BRBU, Kansas and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s